Apply to Study
We are committed to providing a first class international programme, and encourage enquiries from students and their families wanting to know more about our school and what we offer.
Having made the decision to study overseas, it is very important that both students and their families feel comfortable with the country and the school they choose.
You are welcome to email us with any queries or questions, or download the application form and return it to us via fax, email or post. Our full contact details are below. You will need to send us the following documents:
- the student's completed enrolment application form
- a copy of the student's passport
- a copy of the student's most recent school report, showing subjects, grades and comments from the teacher/s
Once we receive this information, your application will be considered by the International Director. We take many things into consideration when reviewing these applications, including:
- the student's age (we accept students between the ages of 13-18)
- the student's country of origin - to ensure we are providing a truly unique experience, we ensure cultural diversity by capping the number of students from any one country at a time
- understanding of English - it is important students have a basic level of English and, most importantly, are keen to practise and improve while in New Zealand
- the length of time a student hopes to stay
- whether the student intends to remain in New Zealand for tertiary study
Tuition Fees and Visas
We will endeavour to respond to your application within seven days. If your application is successful, a conditional placement will be offered, along with an invoice for tuition fees. When these fees are fully paid, a Confirmed Offer of Place will be issued, and you can then apply for a student visa. Please email us for our up-to-date fee structure.
Full details of visa and permit requirements, advice on rights to employment in New Zealand while studying, and reporting requirements are available through the New Zealand Immigration Service website.
Once accepted for enrolment at our school, international students must agree to a number of conditions, to ensure their visit to New Zealand is a true success. These include:
- Students and parents/legal guardians must accept and abide by rules regarding the behaviour, conduct and attendance that apply to all students. Failure to do so may result in the termination of tuition.
- Students must observe the laws of New Zealand. This includes not driving a motor vehicle while you are a student at our school. Students must obey the road crossing rules and stay safe around traffic at all times. A cycle helmet must be worn at all times when riding a bicycle.
- Students must observe the conditions of their visa. If the student breaks the terms of their visa the school will report the fact to the New Zealand Immigration Service, which may result in the student having to leave New Zealand. If a student in Year 12 or Year 13 wishes to work part time after school (up to 20 hours) they can apply for a variation of conditions for their student visa. A form needs to be completed and fee payable and sent with their passport to the Immigration Service before a part time job can be accepted.
Whangarei Girls' High School has agreed to observe and be bound by the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students published by the Ministry of Education. Copies of the Code are available on request from this institution or from the New Zealand Ministry of Education website.
Health and Travel Insurance
Students are only entitled to publicly funded health services while in New Zealand if they are:
- A resident or citizen of Australia; or
- a national of the United Kingdom in New Zealand; or
- The holder of a temporary permit that is valid for two years or more.
If you do not belong to one of these special categories and you receive medical treatment during your visit, you will be liable for the full costs of that treatment. We require you to take out a comprehensive medical insurance policy and the school will need proof of this prior to your enrolment at our school.
Questions? Please contact us before you enrol
Phone: 0064 (9) 430 4460
Facsimile: 0064 (09) 4304410